With the introduction of the apprenticeship levy last April, early discussions with business who have engaged in offering degree apprenticeships have indicated the following business benefits:
- Boost productivity – investment in up-skilling your workforce will increase your business productivity and demonstrate your commitment to investing in people.
- Capture new talent – apprenticeships offer a route to reach talent who could be missed through more traditional recruitment routes.
- Upskill and reward existing employees – degree apprenticeship standards can be used to up-skill employees at a higher level leading to greater staff retention and loyalty
- Fill skills gaps – through an apprenticeship you have the ability to meet business needs by filling higher-level skills gaps.
- Gain up-to-date knowledge – apprentices can put into practice what they have learned in the workplace the next day, and keep the business up to date with the latest techniques and technology, increasing your organisation’s productivity.
- A chance to refresh talent strategies – The availability of degree apprenticeships will enable you to take a fresh look at your early talent strategies. We are seeing employers take a more blended approach to early talent, with opportunities for graduates, interns and degree apprentices, as they focus on the optimal ways to attract and develop the people that will drive their business forward.
- Clear progression routes for apprentices – apprenticeships are available for many disciplines from level 2 (GCSE equivalent) through to masters level providing a clear development pathway for employees.
- Use your levy – remember, if you are a levy-paying business and recruit and employ apprentices, you will be able to recover this levy payment and use it towards the cost of training your apprentices.
The following Degree Apprenticeships are ready for delivery by Higher Futures providers:
- BSC (Hons) Building surveying degree apprenticeship
- BSC (Hons) Quantity Surveying degree apprenticeship
- Digital and Technology Solutions Professional Degree Apprenticeship
- BEng (Hons) Embedded electronic systems design and development engineer (top up)
- Chartered Manager degree apprenticeship
- Higher Apprenticeship in Accounting
- Diploma in Regulated Financial Planning
- BA (Hons) Degree in Insurance
Further benefits for employers:
• Positive action to address business needs and skill shortages
• Develop a talent pipeline
• Helps with succession planning
• Identifies and upskills high – potential staff
More information on apprenticeships can be found here